HVX BootCamp DVD Vol. 1 is AVAILABLE!

Is volume 1 Two Disks, or is there a Volume 2 that makes up the second disk? Does the 60 bucks include Volume 2 as well?

Volume 1 is two discs.

The first disc covers all of the camera menus and settings; Barry takes you through each menu item in detail, including variable frame rates, shutter speeds, gamma curves, recording modes -- everything.

The second disc explains all of the switches and inputs on the camera, and also all of the MCR Mode menus. There is also a set of Scene File settings examples.

Still to be determined. A number of things have to line up before we'll know.

But Volume 1 is the meat, the bread and butter -- it's everything about operating the HVX, from all of the buttons and switches on the camera to each and every menu item -- what they do, and how to use them. It's the DVX DVD for the HVX, only better and more in-depth.

There are a few key pieces that need to fall in place before we undertake volume 2. One was FCP 5.1.2, a total revamp of the FCP P2 interface. If we'd shot volume 2 before that came out, we'd all be looking a bit silly right about now! :)

Just a head's up.

I've just completed viewing the "scene file" segment on Disc 2.

I've learned more in 40 minutes than in the previous six months.

The HVX BootCamp DVD is the DVD you keep.

:)

David S. said:
Just a head's up.

I've just completed viewing the "scene file" segment on Disc 2.

I've learned more in 40 minutes than in the previous six months.

The HVX BootCamp DVD is the DVD you keep.

:)

ha ha this is perfect.... glad it worked for ya David :)

I all ready got it, wow really fast. The first impression is really good! All ready learned a lot. Nice to see Barry Green in action, yoy guys are the best!

Niels

Many of the same topics are covered.

But the advantage of DVD is there's a great deal which just can't be demonstrated on paper which can be on the TV screen. Barry not only tells you what to do, but shows you what it does, and you can see immediately how it will affect your work.

Like David S. says above, it's one thing to read about it. But actually seeing it work adds another level of understanding.

Variable frame rates, for example, sound good on paper, but when you actually see it work, it's a "Whoa!" moment. Or, seeing an immediate difference between gamma curves or master pedestal settings -- esepcially as they look on TV -- adds a dimension you just can't get in static form.

By now there are quite a few people out there who have seen it -- let's open it up. What do you guys think? How's the presentation?

I didn't had the time to see a lot of it yet, but I like the presentation! It is really easy to follow and to understand. This week I am going to watch the whole thing with the camera and I am going through all the things I didn't know yet or could improve. It is really nice to see all the different settings and what you get out of it and the differents between the results you get. I spend my last 4 months with the camera next to me, but this dvd and hopefully the book I ordered is of great value to me!

Niels

Congrats to Barry on a terrific DVD. I like the style. I like the pace. I like the photography. It could be a very boring talking-head DVD, but the B camera shots with all kinds of "looks" adds a very cool visual interest to things. But most impressive here are the practical tips. I know that I will get a lot more from this camera and I eagerly await volume 2.

Ned Soltz

I'm a survivor of the old Electric Image manual. Basically it stated that this is the "blankety blank" function. This is the hoopla do function.

Never said what it was for or how to use in any context.

On the other hand, each function of the cam is identified, and explained on how it is used in what context and in relation to other functions.

Kina of refreshing.

Is that Barry Green as the talent?

I already bought the book -- and I'm going to Hawaii for the Bootcamp, which gives you a copy of the book as a bonus. Just wondering, since I've already paid $100 for the book, can I just get this dvd instead?

Back